As regular readers of this blog already know, our second annual Memorial Day Yard Sale and Potluck is coming up a week from today. We do this because Massachusetts state law prohibits liquor stores from selling on this particular holiday, so why not use the outdoor space for something fun, like a yard sale? And to attract more customers, why not offer free food?
Yes, there will be snacks to share with all the buyers–maybe cookies, maybe burgers, maybe hotdogs, maybe maybe other things. We don’t know yet, because it’s all the vendors who will be providing the pot luck, and they ain’t talkin’! But I can tell you this: last year there were all of those things and more! So if you’re a vendor, don’t forget to bring something yummy to share. And if you’re a shopper, be sure to stop by before all the goodies (both edible and buy-able) are gone!
And in order to lure you into our yard sale clutches, I’ll leave you with an easy and delicious recipe that one of last year’s vendors brought: Portable S’mores:
- Take one full-sized graham cracker and break it in half in the middle.
- Place two squares of a plain chocolate bar (Hershey’s or other brand) on one half of the graham cracker
- Cut a large marshmallow in half and place both halves on top of the chocolate
- Top with the other half of the graham cracker.
- Wrap loosely in aluminum foil.
- Now make 11 more just like that.
- Place each packet over hot coals for approximately 5 minutes.
- Open carefully and enjoy.
- Serves 12.
Take it from a cat who knows; these things are incredibly delicious!
See you a week from Monday!
* Nat Decants: A thorough glossary from Natalie MacLean, noted wine writer, speaker, and judge.
* eRobertParker.com: “The Independent Consumer’s Guide to Fine Wines”
* GLOSSARY of Wine-Tasting Terminology (Version 1.4 – Jan. 1995): A thorough collection of definitions from Anthony Hawkins.