Given what has happened to Japan over the last 24 hrs, I don’t think it’s appropriate to write about beer or wine. Thoughts…
- First… The scale of the disaster is mind numbing… So many thoughts and prayers go out to those poor people… If you care to help, here is the Red Cross contact info… Simply heart broken here…
- Beyond all the horror, there are massive geo-economic worries. Japan’s already-weak economy carries one trillion dollars of our debt in the form of U.S. treasury bonds. If the Japanese government has to call in those bonds (penalties or not), where are we going to get the money to cover them? (For weeks, the two parties in Congress have been bloviatingly chest thumping over a $50 billion difference in the short-term budget. What happens when we have to immediately face twenty times that amount?) At this point, I doubt that the Chinese will “lend” us one more dime in the form of yet more “T-Bonds”. (We owe the PRC a trillion also.) In short, this natural disaster could well lead to an equally stunning economic meltdown of two of the world’s most powerful economies.
- When it rains it pours… Enter the geo-political… The Middle East is teetering, and don’t for one minute think that “The House of Saud” and Col. Qaddafi won’t take our tragic distraction to full advantage. Expect more brutal repression in both Saudi Arabia and Libya.
- Finally, expect the ominous nuclear power situation in Japan to stall once and for all our thoughts of nuclear power here.
Sad and scared by the racks,
Two cats blogging…
* Nat Decants: A thorough glossary from Natalie MacLean, noted wine writer, speaker, and judge.
* eRobertParker.com: “The Independent Consumer’s Guide to Fine Wines”
* GLOSSARY of Wine-Tasting Terminology (Version 1.4 – Jan. 1995): A thorough collection of definitions from Anthony Hawkins.