As always, Ponchita and I (HSS cats) try to bring you the new, beautiful, informative, and unusual… So how about this? Bluebirds!
O.k… Here’s some stuff you should know about winter and birds (including the bluebirds…)
- The cold does a real number on the wee winged ones. Check with your feed supplier and ask for a high-energy winter mix.
- One of the most commonly overlooked requirements is clean water. A birdbath heater is a good thing.
- Mealworms… Who can live without mealworms, especially when the temperature drops?
- Birds are just like people… Sometimes they need shelter from the storm… Have roosts or old birdhouses at the ready for these blustery times.
- Keep an eye on those feeders! Birds will sometimes mob a feeder and empty it. Lack of food can mean death.
- Remember the “5 X 5 Rule” when it comes to feeder location… Keep it 5′ off the ground and within 5′ of trees and/or shrubbery.
- Pets belong indoors or on a leash.
- Finally, clean feeders/baths using water and bleach using a 12:1 ratio with a good rinse afterward. (Beware the runoff – bleach takes no prisoners.)
And that’s about it… Happy birds, happy people, happy pets. Sold!
Two cats tweeting by the racks…
* Nat Decants: A thorough glossary from Natalie MacLean, noted wine writer, speaker, and judge.
* eRobertParker.com: “The Independent Consumer’s Guide to Fine Wines”
* GLOSSARY of Wine-Tasting Terminology (Version 1.4 – Jan. 1995): A thorough collection of definitions from Anthony Hawkins.