Cisco the Harwich Spirits Shoppe cat here…
We’re going to take a brief respite from the new “Travels with Da Gizz Through the Wine Regions of the World” (or whatever it is that he calls the series) and go in a different direction – that of cheap, cheesy family entertainment. We’re talking silly, goofy, campy movies (at least by today’s standards). Take a look below…
These are movies for the whole family and friends to boot. (And maybe a bottle of wine or a six pack for the grown ups…) Movies framed for simple fun times on chilly weekend evenings accompanied by shadow, popcorn, and quilts. Almost all of the cinematic masterpieces below are available via NetFlix or a similar service. Without further chatter, here are the “HSS Two Paws Up” recommendations:
- Attack of the Crab Monsters – 1957
- Invasion of the Saucer Men – 1957
- Target Earth – 1954
- Robot Monster – 1953
- Plan 9 from Outer Space – 1959
- Tobor the Great – 1954
- Forbidden Planet – 1956 (Look closely… You might just recognize a few actors!)
- The Astounding She Monster – 1957
- The Man from Planet X – 1951
- The Green Slime are Coming – 1968
- The Beast with 1,000,000 Eyes – 1955
- The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms – 1953 (Again, look closely… You might just recognize an actor or two.)
Like we said… It’s silly stuff, but it sure beats the all-too-realistic, dark, flesh-ripping, sadism of the 8PM Saturday SyFy Channel.
Two cats chewing their nails under the sheets between the racks…
* Nat Decants: A thorough glossary from Natalie MacLean, noted wine writer, speaker, and judge.
* eRobertParker.com: “The Independent Consumer’s Guide to Fine Wines”
* GLOSSARY of Wine-Tasting Terminology (Version 1.4 – Jan. 1995): A thorough collection of definitions from Anthony Hawkins.