CONTEST CLOSED! WE HAVE A WINNER!!! That’s right, Cisco the Harwich Spirits Shoppe blogging cat is calling all you readers out there a bunch of wimps…
I track the stats for this site, and I know how many readers stop by, and nobody wants to enter this simple contest. Depending on the method used, it should take you anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to earn a “Bruce’s Pick” $25 bottle of wine or $25 gift certificate good for beer and wine. By my math, that’s like working for $100/hr to $300/hr just to win a prize. So why do I call you wimps? Here’s why. There are several ways to solve the problem… (See details here.) Just start adding sequential whole numbers together beginning at 1. (1+2=3; 1+2+3=6; 1+2+3+4=10; 1+2+3+4+5=15; 1+2+3+4+5+6=21; 1+2+3+4+5+6+7=28; etc.) All you have to do is tell me via a comment on this blog what the last number in that additive sequence is to make the sum equal to 5778… That’s it. Depending on the method used, it should take you anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to earn a “Bruce’s Pick” $25 bottle of wine or $25 gift certificate good for beer and wine. By my math, that’s like working for $100/hr to $300/hr just to win a prize.
So why do I call you wimps? Here’s why. There are several ways to solve the problem…
* You can manually add up the numbers on a calculator or on Windows Calculator. As a test, I just added up the numbers of 1 through 20 in less than one minute.
* You can surf the Web, and discover that others have come up with a formula for this problem.
* If you’re familiar with spreadsheets, you can write a quick one and have the answer within minutes.
* You can do the algebra yourself and create your own equation.
But nobody seems to be doing this. Why? Are you stupid? No, you’re reading this aren’t you? Are you afraid of the Web? Nope – again, you’re reading this. Is the prize not worthy of a few minutes of your time? Of course not! It’s a good prize. So why is no one entering? I’ll tell you why! Because you’re all a bunch of sniveling, bed-wetting, jackwagon wimps straight out Mamby Pamby Land! I’ll bet the color yellow makes you sad!
Man oh man, it’s a sad day when you get rightfully dissed by a cat on a blog!
Two cats blogging by the racks…
P.S. Don’t forget our upcoming pot luck BBQ next Sat… That is unless burnt hot hogs make you sad too…
P.P.S. I just solved the contest problem using Windows Calculator – seven minutes flat. And I’m just using my paws on the numeric keypad! By my calculations, if I were eligible, I would have just won $25 in 7 minutes. That’s an hourly rate of $214.25/hr… Now if I can only find a way to get Da Gizz to give me the prize and keep me busy for the other 53 minutes!
* Nat Decants: A thorough glossary from Natalie MacLean, noted wine writer, speaker, and judge.
* eRobertParker.com: “The Independent Consumer’s Guide to Fine Wines”
* GLOSSARY of Wine-Tasting Terminology (Version 1.4 – Jan. 1995): A thorough collection of definitions from Anthony Hawkins.