EDIT: CONTEST CLOSED!!! We have a winner… Roby Whitehouse!
Well, it had to happen… Da Gizz got bored and wants a new series of contests… Here are the rules and the skinny…
* Roughly once a week (give or take), Harwich Spirits Shoppe will post a contest here on this blog. You must be 21 years of age or older to enter.
* Only answers submitted on this blog as comments are allowed.
* Prizes will take the form of either a “Bruce’s Wine Pick” (an apx. $25 value), or a $25 HSS gift certificate. Sorry, but we can’t ship the wine, so you’ll have to either pick it up or we can we can mail you the certificate. Certificates are only good for beer and wine.
* Employees and their families are ineligible.
* Bruce reserves the right to change the rules as appropriate to each contest. (e.g. one contest may be a “first correct answer wins” type and another may involve a pool drawing of correct answers.) Our call.
* And speaking of which, the judges’ decisions are final.
Alrighty then… Are you ready for the first contest? This one will in fact be a “first correct answer wins” type with no time limit…
Imagine adding a series of sequential whole numbers starting at 1…
You get the idea… So, following that pattern what would make the following true for “x”?
Put another way, what is the last number in that sequential addition series of whole numbers starting at 1 that will push the sum total up to 5778???
Hint… There are a ton of sites on the Web that talk about this kind problem, and the solution is surprisingly simple… A little bit of insight, a few guesses, and a smidge of paper/calculator work and you’ll have the answer.
See you by those quizzical wine racks…
Two cats blogging
* Nat Decants: A thorough glossary from Natalie MacLean, noted wine writer, speaker, and judge.
* eRobertParker.com: “The Independent Consumer’s Guide to Fine Wines”
* GLOSSARY of Wine-Tasting Terminology (Version 1.4 – Jan. 1995): A thorough collection of definitions from Anthony Hawkins.